How it Works.
The CrossFit TT On-Ramp Curriculum is comprised of four 75 minute classes, spread out over a one-week period. Each unique class introduces a small group of attendees to a different series of movements, exercises, and/or skills employed by CrossFit TT’s Group Training Program. The 4th class culminates with a Proficiency Assessment that requires attendees to demonstrate their understanding of each movement introduced during the two-week period. Upon completion of the assessment, attendees are eligible to participate in CrossFit TT’s Group Training Program and to attend Group Training Classes.
Athletes who miss a class may still participate in the Proficiency Assessment as scheduled so that they can proceed to Group Training Classes (the CFTT Coach will help coach the athlete through the assessment), however they must either:
- Make up the class they missed the next time it is offered;
- Schedule a personal training session to make up the course.
Who it’s For.
Whether you’re new to working out, following-through on a New Year’s Resolution, are a seasoned veteran looking to make a comeback, or an elite athlete striving to take their training to the next level, CrossFit TT’s On-Ramp program stands to further your understanding of exercise physiology, and help you achieve your athletic performance or fitness goals.
Educational, Engaging, and fun, the CrossFit TT On-Ramp Program curriculum involves (includes?) theory and practical work. The Integrated curriculum provides Participants with:
- The ability to safely and effectively perform/employ all the movements used in CrossFit TT’s programs. Covered topics include gymnastic/body-weight exercises, mid-line stabilization exercises, plyometric movements, Olympic and Power-Lifting Movements, Kettlebell movements, and efficient running and rowing form;
- a general understanding of the musculoskeletal biomechanics associated with/involved in the functional exercises used in CrossFit TT’s programs;
- Awareness of general flexibility and/or mobility restrictions which could potentially impede their progress;
- Basic soft-tissue maintenance tools essential for remaining limber, healthy, and injury-free.
CrossFit TT’s On-Ramp Session is comprised of four 75 minute classes held at CrossFit TT. Three classes are held each week at a pre-determined time for one week. Each of the six classes follows a set curriculum, and covers unique subject matter. Each class:
- Details the underlying principles associated with each movement, exercise, or skill;
- Guides attendees through the execution of each movement;
- Dedicates time to the practice and application of each movement reviewed;
- Provides Coach-issued feedback and prescribes corrective cues or exercise modifications as necessary;
- Includes a CrossFit TT Programmed workout that both incorporates the movements reviewed, and simulates the CrossFit TT training environment;
- Concludes with mobility and flexibility work complimentary to the movements employed during the instruction and the workout.
Over the two week period, attendees:
- Are exposed to the key stimuli used in CrossFit TT’s Group Training Program;
- Taught how to perform each of the basic foundational movements employed by CrossFit TT;
- Perform in bench-mark workouts that both help establish a base-line for subsequent Group Training workouts, and demonstrate their proficiency with the subject material;
- Are given instruction and guidance on how to develop a suitable approach to Group Training workouts based on their personal strengths and weaknesses.
Frequently Asked Questions.
WHY IS ON-RAMP NECESSARY? CAN’T I JUST START TAKING CLASSES? One of the reasons why CrossFit is unique from other training methodologies is because we employ functional movements – multi-joint movements that closely replicate those found in sports or life, and which strengthen and engage an entire kinetic chain instead of an individual muscle or muscle group. Because these movements can be complex, and are often unfamiliar to those new to the sport, they often require a fair amount of instruction before they can be employed safely and effectively. Our On-Ramp not only affords this instruction, but also the opportunity for people to apply what they’ve learned (each class features a CrossFit TT workout that incorporates the movements learned; after the program is over, participants are issued a 30 day unlimited Group Training membership).
WHAT IF I MISS AN ON-RAMP CLASS? Chances are good that if you only miss one class, we’ll still be able to coach you through your Proficiency Assessment so that you can begin enrolling in CrossFit TT Group Training Classes as planned. That said, athletes will still be responsible for the material covered, and are strongly encouraged to make up the class by either:
1.) Attending the class you missed the next time it is offered at no charge;
2.) Scheduling a Personal Training appointment with a CFTT Coach to make up the material ($40).
If an athlete misses more than one class, they should plan to refrain from taking their Proficiency Assessment as scheduled, and to re-schedule their on-ramp program for the next session. A small re-scheduling fee may apply. If your schedule is such that you’re nervous about being able to make it to each session, we’d also encourage you to consider a 1-on-1 On Ramp Program. Like a series of personal training appointments, the 1-on-1 On-Ramp enables athletes to work exclusively with a CFTT coach at times convenient for their schedule.
MY SCHEDULE DOESN’T PERMIT ME TO ENROLL IN THE GROUP ON-RAMP. I’M MORE COMFORTABLE LEARNING NEW MOVES ON MY OWN. CAN I DO A PRIVATE ON-RAMP? Absolutey. CrossFit TT’s 1-on-1 On-Ramp Program follows the same curriculum as our Group On-Ramp Training in a highly personalized setting, and can be scheduled at the Client’s convenience.
WHAT IF I’M NOT READY TO GRADUATE? CrossFit TT is committed to a non-intimidating training environment. We want all of our members feeling both comfortable within a Group Training environment and confident with their newfound skills before they make the transition to Grou p Training classes. If you still don’t feel as though you’re ready to transition to our Group Training Classes after completing your On-Ramp, we’re here to help. Speak to your coach about your options for re-enrolling in another round of On-Ramp, or enrolling in a 1-on-1 On-Ramp program.
IS THE ON-RAMP PROGRAM MANDITORY? Effective 2/11/13, CrossFit TT will require new members to have successfully completed one of the following pre-requisites prior to being able to participate in any regularly scheduled CrossFit TT Group Training workout:
- CrossFit TT’s On-Ramp Program;
- CrossFit TT On-Ramp Exemption Test;
- Four Personal Training sessions with a CrossFit TT coach, scheduled through CrossFit TT.
Existing CrossFit TT members are exempt from this requirement, but are welcome to register for the Program. Previous members returning from an extended absence may be required to complete the program depending on he length of their absence, and their level of exposure to the movements covered in the curriculum prior to their leave.
HOW CAN I TEST OUT OF THE ON-RAMP PROGRAM? Athletes wishing to waive the On-Ramp requirement are welcome to take an Exemption Test with a CrossFit TT coach. Designed to help CrossFit TT coaches assess whether an athlete is well equipped for success within the CrossFit TT training environment, the Exemption Test measures an athlete’s:
- Understanding of the key mechanics associated with each movement tested;
- Competency with the principal movements employed by the program.
- Self-diagnostic capabilities when performing key movements.
Athletes will be evaluated based on their ability to both execute and describe the elements of proper execution of select movements to the satisfaction of the administering CFTT coach. Although performance capabilities like speed and load capacity factor into the final Test Score calculation, such factors aren’t heavily weighted when calculating the final test score, and will not necessarily prevent an athlete from receiving a passing grade. Test Out Session is $40.00.
- Register for an Upcoming On-Ramp Program.
- Register for a 1-on-1 On-Ramp Program.
- Return to Program Overview.